I mean one particular Bob: Spongebob Square Pants. I used to watch the show some years ago with my son and found it clever. However, I was a bit perplexed by the Spongebob renaissance I witnessed in Cairo last month. There was almost nowhere you could look without some Spongebob image on a tshirt or a towel or even Sponebob himself making an appearance, walking down the street. I’d love to know why he’s suddenly so popular since I haven’t seen the same sort of iconography in Beirut, for example. Most Egyptians I asked didn’t know why.
My newest book
End the Siege of Nahr el Bared Refugee Camp
- "If you’re outraged at conditions, then you can’t possibly be free or happy until you devote all your time to changing them and do nothing but that. But you can’t change anything if you want to hold onto a good job, a good way of life and avoid sacrifice."--César Chávez
- India Condemns Disproportionate Use of Force in Gaza: Full Statement - NDTV ndtv.com/article/india/… via @ndtv #GazaUnderAttack 51 minutes ago
- Protests in India against Israel's offensive in Gaza - The Times of India timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Protests… #GazaUnderAttack 52 minutes ago
- Terror from the skies | Frontline frontline.in/world-affairs/… #GazaUnderAttack 1 hour ago
- RT @ChrisGunness: Hitting a UN Girls' School right now in #Gaza? Have civilians not suffered enough? Please support our call for a full inv… 2 days ago
- RT @imPalestine: Hamas kills and captures invading soldiers on battlefield. Israel gets mad and massacres civilians at their homes and on t… 2 days ago
- Academic Freedom Activism Afghanistan Africa Anti-War Apartheid Art Bolivia Borderlands Boycott, Divestment & Sanctions Colonialism Economy Egypt Elections Environment Film Gaza Genocide Globalization Hillary Clinton History Human Rights Imperialism India Indigenous International Law Iran Iraq Islam Jordan Justice Kurds Labor Lebanon Literature Media Militarization Music Obama Occupation Pakistan Palestine Poverty Prisons Racism Refugees Religion Resistance Slavery Syria Tamil teaching Theater Turkey U.S. Foreign Policy U.S. Policy Uncategorized Universities Venezuela Zionism
- 238,791 hits
- Ali Abunimah Al Jazeera Al Quds An Najah University anti-Semitism Apartheid Wall Avigdor Lieberman Barack Obama bbc bds beirut Benjamin Netanyahu Bethlehem Bill Clinton Canada China CIA Condoleeza Rice Deheishe refugee camp Democracy Now! east jerusalem ehud barak ehud olmert electronic intifada ethnic cleansing european union Fatah Gaza gaza city gaza strip George Bush Ha'aretz Hamas Hebron Hezbollah Hillary Clinton Human Rights Watch India israeli terrorism Israeli Terrorist Forces israeli terrorists Jenin Jeremy Scahill jerusalem John McCain jonathan cook Khalil khan younis Knesset Ma'an News Mahmoud Abbas massacre Nablus Nahr el Bared refugee camp nakba Oslo Palestinian Authority pflp rafah Ramallah right of return saudi arabia South Africa Sudan tel aviv terrorism the guardian torture Tzipi Livni United Nations united states unrwa war crimes West Bank yaffa
malgudi on Tibet and Palestine Shalom Modi: India a… on Tibet and Palestine Kufoscarat on “The Hindu” Promot… 'Globe' re… on How I Failed the Thirsting for… marcy/مارسي newman/ن… on expanding colonies and ch…
- blaming the victims in gaza
- trying to find the words for gaza...
- checkpoints 101, or why there are not 2 sides to this story
- on hypocrisy and genocide
- first the wall goes down at rafah...now this!
- Bring up the bodies, BIFFes
- zionism is discrimination is oppression is racism is apartheid.
- beit sahour
- the west bank does not = palestine (just a very small, diminishing part of it)
- Ending Zionism is a feminist issueWe shouldn’t be surprised that Israeli “analysts” have urged the rape and murder of Palestinian women.Nada Elia
- Why is US holding Palestinian charity workers in "little Gitmos"?Lawyers argue that the “Communication Management Unit” regime flouts US ban on cruel punishment.Charlotte Silver
- In photos: Palestinians in West Bank and Israel protest Gaza slaughterThree Palestinians slain in West Bank since beginning of Gaza assault and more than one thousand arrested by occupation forces.
- No ceasefire without justice for GazaTo return to status quo before Israeli attack would mean “living death,” say dozens of Gaza civil society leaders.
- Why I vowed not to have children in GazaSeeing Israel slaughter other people’s infants is hard enough.Omar Ghraieb
- Ending Zionism is a feminist issue