I mean one particular Bob: Spongebob Square Pants. I used to watch the show some years ago with my son and found it clever. However, I was a bit perplexed by the Spongebob renaissance I witnessed in Cairo last month. There was almost nowhere you could look without some Spongebob image on a tshirt or a towel or even Sponebob himself making an appearance, walking down the street. I’d love to know why he’s suddenly so popular since I haven’t seen the same sort of iconography in Beirut, for example. Most Egyptians I asked didn’t know why.
My newest book
End the Siege of Nahr el Bared Refugee Camp
- "If you’re outraged at conditions, then you can’t possibly be free or happy until you devote all your time to changing them and do nothing but that. But you can’t change anything if you want to hold onto a good job, a good way of life and avoid sacrifice."--César Chávez
- RT @sharifkouddous: In Beit Hanoun a man walks through the rubble and says aloud to himself, "This is a town of ghosts, not people" #Gaza h… 16 hours ago
- The killing fields mondoweiss.net/2014/07/the-ki… #GazaUnderAttack via @aymanm 1 day ago
- RT @imPalestine: We're trapped in Gaza between two deaths. The world asks us to choose between death by Israel's bombs and missiles and dea… 1 day ago
- RT @RanaGaza: Those who have just realised that Hamas "after all" was not behind the kidnappings, please shut up. You've come too late. 100… 1 day ago
- RT @Mogaza: #Gaza pulverised beyond recognition bit.ly/1l40b5G read my report this morning 1 day ago
- Academic Freedom Activism Afghanistan Africa Anti-War Apartheid Art Bolivia Borderlands Boycott, Divestment & Sanctions Colonialism Economy Egypt Elections Environment Film Gaza Genocide Globalization Hillary Clinton History Human Rights Imperialism India Indigenous International Law Iran Iraq Islam Jordan Justice Kurds Labor Lebanon Literature Media Militarization Music Obama Occupation Pakistan Palestine Poverty Prisons Racism Refugees Religion Resistance Slavery Syria Tamil teaching Theater Turkey U.S. Foreign Policy U.S. Policy Uncategorized Universities Venezuela Zionism
- 239,143 hits
- Ali Abunimah Al Jazeera Al Quds An Najah University anti-Semitism Apartheid Wall Avigdor Lieberman Barack Obama bbc bds beirut Benjamin Netanyahu Bethlehem Bill Clinton Canada China CIA Condoleeza Rice Deheishe refugee camp Democracy Now! east jerusalem ehud barak ehud olmert electronic intifada ethnic cleansing european union Fatah Gaza gaza city gaza strip George Bush Ha'aretz Hamas Hebron Hezbollah Hillary Clinton Human Rights Watch India israeli terrorism Israeli Terrorist Forces israeli terrorists Jenin Jeremy Scahill jerusalem John McCain jonathan cook Khalil khan younis Knesset Ma'an News Mahmoud Abbas massacre Nablus Nahr el Bared refugee camp nakba Oslo Palestinian Authority pflp rafah Ramallah right of return saudi arabia South Africa Sudan tel aviv terrorism the guardian torture Tzipi Livni United Nations united states unrwa war crimes West Bank yaffa
malgudi on Tibet and Palestine Shalom Modi: India a… on Tibet and Palestine Kufoscarat on “The Hindu” Promot… 'Globe' re… on How I Failed the Thirsting for… marcy/مارسي newman/ن… on expanding colonies and ch…
- blaming the victims in gaza
- about me
- trying to find the words for gaza...
- israeli terrorists kill hamas cat: maybe now israeli terrorists will be tried for war crimes?
- the ongoing nakbas
- zionism is discrimination is oppression is racism is apartheid.
- a week of israeli terrorism in gaza
- the west bank does not = palestine (just a very small, diminishing part of it)
- checkpoints 101, or why there are not 2 sides to this story
- the chalk and the blackboard
- The story of my brother, martyr Mohammed AlareerTwo beautiful children will have to grow up without their dad, a beloved kids’ TV program star.Refaat Alareer
- Gaza, from the diasporaThere’s more blood than water today in Gaza, writes poet Jehan Bseiso.Jehan Bseiso
- Attacks on hospitals expose Israel's "self-defense" claims as liesPower failures are known to happen while vital operations are being undertaken.Rami Almeghari
- To the family of the one thousandth victim of Israel's genocidal slaughter in GazaI pledge myself to work for justice, full justice, restorative justice.Ilan Pappe
- My city burning peacefully (Our Gaza is a dream of hope)A grain of sand from the sea of Gaza will not ignite, except as hope, writes Nayrouz Qarmout from Gaza.Nayrouz Qarmout
- The story of my brother, martyr Mohammed Alareer