As if it is not enough that there is a never ending siege on Gaza, now British complicity compounds the matter by closing a charity bank account that aids Palestinians in Gaza. Read below to take action.
PRESS STATEMENT: 17 November 2008
Due to the overwhelming support Interpal has received on this matter, this statement is being released for further circulation and clarification. On the November 12, Interpal received notification from their bank, the Islamic Bank of Britain (IBB), that Lloyds TSB (their clearing bank) has served notice on IBB to cease all dealings with Interpal. Clearing banks are responsible for the processing of all financial transactions and Lloyds TSB is one of the 4 clearing banks in the UK which all high street banks must work through. The notice comes into effect on 8 December 2008 (date subsequently revised to 30 January 2009) and has the potential to force Interpal to cease operations early next month.
After this time “all transactions into or out of Interpal accounts will be blocked and IBB will be at further risk of all its customer payments being suspended”. To date, despite pressures from Lloyds, IBB has offered Interpal its full support but it remains threatened by Lloyds’ demands.
Lloyds TSB has treated IBB in a discriminatory fashion and its customers with complete disrespect. Other Muslim charities now face the same discrimination and their accounts can be closed down without adequate warning or explanation. At a time when ties amongst communities need to be strengthened, this is an Islamophobic attack on the rights of all British Muslims and sets a dangerous precedent for discrimination on all British citizens and account-holders.
This is not only an attack on Interpal, a leading British charity, but on all other Muslim charities, all charities working in politically-sensitive regions, all customers of IBB and the Palestinian people, 80% of whom are completely dependent on international aid for survival.
This comes as a result of pressures from foreign groups, which do not have the legality to interfere with either the British banking or charity sector, yet have managed to place IBB in a compromising situation. Additionally, this comes as Lloyds TSB recently benefited from a bailout of taxpayer’s money, without considering that Muslims are also among British taxpayers.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
1. Lloyds TSB, and express your outrage to Lloyd TSB’s imminent actions against IBB and your concern that British account-holders can be treated in such a manner. Contact Ms. Gay Campbell (Tel: 020 7661 4778; firstname.lastname@example.org) or CEO Eric Daniels (email@example.com).
2. Your Local MP and 10 Downing Street, and pressure the government to act now against Lloyd TSB’s misconduct towards both IBB and all British Muslims; express your anxiety that Lloyds TSB, a beneficiary of British taxpayer’s money, can behave in such an abhorrent manner against British taxpayers.
3. Islamic Bank of Britain, and show support for continuing to support Interpal (Tel: 0845 6060786).
4. Charity Commission, to express your support for Interpal and your concern at the possible implications (Tel: 0845 3000218).
* LLOYDS CUSTOMERS: DEMAND IMMEDIATE ACTION OR CLOSE YOUR ACCOUNT
* FORWARD THIS NOTICE TO FRIENDS, FAMILY AND COLLEAGUES. Additionally, please read a statement from our Chairman on this matter.